Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What do you mean - "You're on call"?

Being on call means doulas have to consider a whole lot more than just a phone... 
Here's 8 things on our mind while we wait for "the call"... 

1. "Is that a wedding ring on your cell phone?" Yup! Pretty much married to the gadget during on-call weeks!

2. Beauty rest... well, you get what you get if you call me at 3 a.m.... but I do try to get to bed at a decent hour every night so I can see straight when you do call! Nothing worse than being called a 1 a.m. after staying up till midnight!

heeheee... car flags for doulas and mommas in labor!
www.signoflabor.com
3. House arrest. Well, not really the house, but the general area at least! Need to be local for that one momma who is blessed with a rapid labor!

4. What goes in, might come out. This means we have watch what we eat... Tuna for lunch? Not enough Crest in the world to kill that breath! Onion rings? Scope can't touch this. Beans... well, let's just say sometimes life stinks. *chuckle* But really, not much worse than trying to help a momma change positions while trying not to let one rip.

5. There's only one time the word virgin fits into my line of work... when ordering drinks while on-call! 'Nuf said.

6. Murphy's Law. There are two days that babies are most likely to come; one is the day I have jam packed full of plans; the other is the day I have none and decide to stay in my jammies and not shower, color my hair and paint my nails. THAT is the day I'll get a call saying "come NOW!"

7. Sleep aids... bahahahhaha! uh. NO.

8. Earthquake preparedness extreme. AKA my doula bag... So in case of emergency, I can cook ya some rice,(rice socks) exercise,(tennis balls and fitness ball) keep you warm (rebozo) and massage the knots out of your back! (massage oil)

After being blessed with 21 one families in 2011, I decided not to take any clients for the month of February. I'm not sure I'll know how to behave! 

Hugs to ya!
Shannon =)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate your feedback! Even if it's in disagreement, please keep your posts kind and clean. =) Have a super blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...